The Olympic champ and her golden Giant (Giant/Cor Vos)
Holland’s Marianne Vos is arguably the world’s most successful multi-discipline racer active today. Having won world titles on the road, on the track and in cyclocross,
not to mention her victories in prestigious road events like the Giro d’Italia Femminile,
Vos added another impressive line to her palmarès in London with a win
in the Olympic road race.
Vos won the Olympic race in the rain aboard a Giant
TCR Advanced SL.
Olympic cycling competition rules dictate that
branding be kept to a minimum – one logo per side of each wheel, one company
name on each side of the bicycle – but after the Olympics, of course, those
rules are off. Rabobank, the trade team for which Vos rides the rest of the
year, quickly capitalized on their rider’s success and bling’ed up her bike
with gold graphic on the frame and wheels.
Vos’ Olympic bike features a fairly straightforward,
if expensive, set-up. Electronic Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 shifters are mounted on a
carbon Pro Vibe handlebar (40cm), and Shimano C35 tubulars are wrapped with
23mm Continental Competition tires.
Vos uses Rotor Q-rings, however, with a 52/39 ring
Giant’s TCR Advanced SL frame is built using carbon
fiber made in Giant’s own carbon facility. The top tube and seat tube are woven
together, then remolded under heat and high pressure. The frame also gets a
carbon nanotube polymer added into the resin, which Giant says greatly improves
The OverDrive 2 fork features a tapered steerer tube
that runs from a 1.25-inch top bearing to a 1.5-inch lower bearing.
Her bike shown here is the TCR Advanced SL she raced
in London, after Rabobank gave it the golden once-over.
Complete bike specification:
- Frame: Giant TCR Advanced SL, size Team S
- Fork: Giant Advanced SL with OverDrive 2 steerer
Pro Vibe aluminum, 110mm
- Handlebar: Pro Vibe carbon, compact bend, 40cm
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 11-25
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7900
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900, 172.5, 53/39T
- Chain rings: Rotor road Q-Rings, 52/39t
- Bottom bracket: Shimano press fit
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace C 35 tubular
- Front tire: Continental Competition 23mm tubular
- Rear tire: Continental Competition 23mm tubular
- Saddle: Pro Turnix Ti
- Bottle cages: Tacx carbo (2)
- Computer: Pro SX-4W